Thursday, August 16, 2007

60 years of Independence...

It has been 60 years since India got her Independence. India has advanced in many ways and matured as a nation. The one thing she is gradually losing, like Tibet, is her culture and traditions.With teh society becomin more westernized, and the newer generations shunning culture and tradition, India is losing one of it's most beautiful aspects.

It is unfortunate that culture and tradition is percieved as boring and ancient rather than unique, colorful and rich. I adore the culture and traditions of India, Those are what make me what I am as a person. The other day someone questioned this belief and compared this to my modernness in other areas of life such as in a marriage or in womens lib. Just because I believe in culture and tradion that does not make me any less modern or liberated in my way of thinking.

With that being said, I wish more youngsters would embrace their traditions and culture, be it in India or Tibet, for that is what makes them what they are. That is what makes a nation unique in spite of it's modernity.

No comments: