Thursday, January 24, 2008

Shekar Kapur Spoke to Heath Ledger the Night Before


Desi connection to a major news story.

People Magazine reports --

Photo -- Shekhar Kapur (left) and Heath Ledger on set in 2002
PHOTO BY: EVERETT

Article from People Magazine --

Director Spoke to Ledger Night Before His Death
By Stephen M. Silverman

Heath Ledger's director on the 2002 adventure movie Four Feathers,
Indian filmmaker Shekhar Kapur, had plans to meet up with his former
star – until tragic fate intervened.

"I last spoke to him the night before he died. I had just arrived in
New York last night, he said he could not see me that night but really
wanted to meet me the next day," Kapur, 62, whose films also include
the two Elizabeth movies starring Cate Blanchett, says in a posting on
his personal Web site.

Adds Kapur: "He made me promise that I would call him in the morning
and wake him up. I tried. Little did I know that his soul had already
left his body."

Lamenting his loss, Kapur writes, "In Heath I have lost a younger
brother He was one the most gentle, the most honest, most caring and
most compassionate persons I had met. And one of the most honest
actors I worked with."

Of Ledger's talent," I often told him that he had the ability to
completely bare his soul in front of the camera, and all I needed to
do was make sure the camera could look into his eyes, and through his
eyes, the audience could clearly look into his soul," says Kapur.

The moviemaker concludes, "Farewell Heath. I always knew you had an
ancient soul. I always said you had a wisdom beyond your years. And
somehow I always knew that your spirit was too restless. Goodbye, my
brother."

Read article at --
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20173473,00.html

No comments: